Friday, December 31, 2004

Narita. Here I am again in Japan, with the chilly wind and the American Airlines lounge. The Admiral's Club. Last time I was here, I just sat down on one of the seats, gorged myself on pretzels and basically felt tired. This time, I took a shower and here I am now, posting this. It's really fun when the place is empty.

The flight to Japan was very tiring. After a bunch of our colleagues dropped by to see us off ( actually to see the other two guys off, but I joined in the seeing off of since I was going off too ), we took off to KLIA. The MAS Golden Lounge there is very impressive. Lots of food - oxtail soup, cream of asparagus soup, nice dessert, spaghetti with seafood sauce, real seafood in the seafood sauce, all the Carlsberg you can drink... even the toilets looked good.

Then it was off to Kota Kinabalu for an hour of transit. We didn't want to go down initially, but Delia our air stewardess said we should go jalan-jalan a bit, so we went down, and realized that the people there looked very different. Maybe it's because they're orang asli. Somehow, their looks depressed me a lot. I thought about it for awhile, and I think maybe it's because they remind me of my grandmother. What the hell man.

And then came the trip from Kota Kinabalu to Narita. I think someone must have screwed up the food timing, cause they kept on feeding us food consistently. So much until *I* finally gave up on the final course. "No thanks," I said. "Really?" asked the sweet Japanese lady who smiles at everyone but when it comes to Japanese her face takes on this concerned look and she suddenly transforms from smiling matron to young concerned lady. Her smile made her look older, but I didn't tell her that. Instead, I told her, "Yes, thank you very much." Then she asked me if I wanted dessert, which was cheesecake. Really, the MAS air crew is very friendly.

Didn't sleep much on the plane though. Turned out that the Indian guy next to me was Fye's team member, so after the preliminaries, we got to do some minimal chatting and then later we watched the American version of Taxi ( starring Queen Latifah and Jimmy Fallon ). So I only had about two hours of sleep last night. Not to worry. After this brief transit we'll be heading off to America. The long trip. My face already feels like it's melting off and my lips are dried up and my throat is giving me problems again. Jetlag City, here I come.

No comments: